Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Four Letter Word

S U G A R

Yes.  I KNOW that's 5 letters.  But so is bitch.  And Sugar is my own personal bitch.  Nope. Strike that.  Sugar continues to make ME it's personal bitch.  And I just am not going to take it anymore.

I weighed in today (figuring with all the birthday celebrating and such, I wanted to make sure I got a good weigh in).  Scale says +.2 lbs.  Ugh.  Not horrible--but still not the direction I want to be going in.  Granted--most of my workouts at this end of this week were not 1 hour--they were 30 minutes.  But I have been focusing on my runs--and so I stretch for 5-10, run for about 15, walk out my cool down and stretch.  

Clearly that isn't enough. (But I am still proud of myself for running as much as I have and for continuing to conquer that mile).

So this is what brought me to my bitch about sugar.  I planned to have a small small piece of cake after dinner to celebrate my 12 year old's birthday.  I didn't have a small small piece of cake.  I had an average piece of cake.   And within 20 minutes I had a screaming headache.  Inflamed sinuses.  And agitated--without being able to put my finger on why.  The only thing that I could point my finger to: sugar.  I felt FINE until that damn cake (yes, btw--it WAS delicious--I make a kick ass cake!--but it totally wasn't worth the ensuing pain and agitation.  Not one bit.)

I did a little research.  I knew sugar was in everything.  I knew sugar was addictive.  I didn't know that most of us exhibit signs of sugar addiction.  I didn't know that excess sugar in the body goes to the liver and is turned into triglycerides (fat--cholesterol--BAD cholesterol).  The tests from my last schedule showed high triglyceride levels.  Sugar was making me its bitch.

No more.  

As of tomorrow (tonight) I am starting a 2 week sugar detox.  No refined sugars.  No sweetened drinks.  No honey.  No white bread, rice, pasta, or sugar (no brown sugar either).  No processed foods with fructose as an ingredient.  No foods with sugars in the ingredients.  My only sugars will come from fruits.  That's it.  

For 2 weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment