Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 1 (Not Really)

"Day 1" suggests that I am just starting out--which is not at all the case--but I am getting ahead of myself. 

Trimming the Fat is my blog narrating my path of eliminating all of the excess in my life: excess debt, excess worry, excess bullshit, and excess pounds . . . 80 to be exact.

Trimming the Fat is my way of keeping myself honest.  I know somewhere I saw or read some expert say that being accountable to another person or group was a key factor in weight loss success (Weight Watcher groups, Diet companies with weekly weigh-ins and coaches depend on this fact).  Well, you, Dear Reader (or Dear Great Internet Abyss--as the case may be) are my person to be accountable to.  

So here is the background: 38 year old married mom with the usual diet story applying: I have struggled with weight issues most of my life.  After having each child (I have birthed 3), I found it progressively harder to lose the weight.

After my last child (she is now 2) seemingly no matter what I did, I lost no weight.  At one point I found I could lose a couple of pounds if I ate nothing but vegetables and worked out 2 hours a day, 7 days a week.  That lasted a couple of months, and then I just got pissed.  Why is this SO hard???

In what I can only describe as a complete fit of disillusionment and unrealistic expectations, I signed up for the Iron Girl.  Yes.  That's right.  I PAID $100 to swim 800 meters, then run to my bike and ride it for 30K and THEN run for 5k.  I PAID to do this.  In case you are wondering, I have never entered any race like competition.  Ever.

Enter in my personal trainer.  Dished out about $1000 there (do you see why I am also struggling with debt!?!).  I am currently in my 3rd month of training and while the numbers on the scale have only gone down slightly, I have lost several inches and dropped several percentage points of body fat.  Chalk one up for me!

I have also become an expert at downloading workout apps to my iPhone and not doing them. Or starting them and not completing them.  I am currently halfway through TWO "Couch to 5k" apps.  I am going to complete at least one of those, Dear Reader.  My first promise to you.

Before I get too far in, I should also mention that I did see my GP a few months ago and had several blood tests.  There is nothing medically wrong with me that would keep me from losing weight.  Check.

So.  Here I am.  I have discovered that I do not drink enough water.  That is one of my goals.  Drink more water (I even have an app for that).

I have restarted a journal to keep track of my calories and exercise.  So from that aspect, this is indeed Day 1.

My current weight? 213.8 (**See 4/16 post: Full disclosure)

I have decided that Wednesdays will be my weigh-in day.  Weigh-In Wednesdays!

Today's Daily Goals:  1400 calories, 90 minutes of exercise.

Stay tuned.  Tomorrow I will let you know how it went.



1 comments:

Mike Sirotkin said...

Go zenmomma! You rock

Post a Comment